The “Afterburn Effect” and why KettleFit workouts guarantee you maximise it every time!
After a long car trip your car’s engine stays warm as it gradually cools to a resting temperature. Here’s a cool fact: The same thing happens to your body after a workout. Similar to how a car engine stays warm, your body’s metabolism can continue to burn calories after an intense workout even when you are at complete rest.
This physiological effect is called excess post exercise oxygen consumption (EPOC), or more commonly called the Afterburn Effect. EPOC is the amount of oxygen required to restore your body to its normal, resting level of metabolic function (called homeostasis). It also explains how your body can continue to burn calories long after you’ve finished your workout.
Here are seven things you should know about EPOC and how KettleFit workouts can optimise calorie burning from your workouts:
- Immediately after a KettleFit workout your metabolism works overtime to replace the energy used, restore blood to normal, repair muscle damage and decrease your body temperature.
- Exercise like KettleFit demands that you use more oxygen which means you burn more calories.
- KettleFit combines circuit training and heavy resistance training with short rest periods which demand more energy from the muscles and in turn increases how many calories you burn after the workout.
- KettleFit involves high-intensity interval training and this is the most effective way to stimulate the afterburn effect.
- Afterburn is influenced by the intensity, not so much duration of exercise. KettleFit workouts ensure you reach the desired intensity level of 75-95% of your maximum heart rate for the duration of our workouts.
- Research has shown that resistance training can provide a greater EPOC effect than running at a steady state.
- The EPOC effect from a high-intensity strength-training workout such as KettleFit can significantly increase the total amount of calories burned.
If you haven’t already got a heart rate monitor, grab one and start monitoring your workout intensity. Also, try KettleFit if its near you! You will maximise the Afterburn effect and ensure you burn calories for up to 48 hours post workout.
KettleFit members can now get a 50% discount on a Myzone Heart monitor – just ask Scott or Jarrod
Bersheim, E. and Bahr, R. (2003). Effect of exercise intensity, duration and mode on post-exercise oxygen consumption. Sports Medicine, 33, 14, 1037-1060
For more information, contact Jarrod at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0422 468 416